Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Fashion Train Wreck

When I was home for the holidays, I finally saw first-hand what a TLC freak my sister had become. I watched countless episodes of Clean Sweep and What Not to Wear. And I couldn’t help but become addicted to What Not to Wear and thinking, “What should I not wear?” I didn’t find myself so different from the women featured on the show – did I look like that when I went out in public?

For those of you who have never seen What Not to Wear, it helps people dress better. A person is nominated by his/her spouse, family or friends and is then secretly filmed for two weeks. He/She is then told about the show, is flown to New York for a few days, given general guidelines on how to dress and what types of clothes to purchase, and given a $5,000 credit card and two days to shop.

The problem of having a versatile and professional-looking wardrobe has become my nemesis in the new year. While I find comfort in my current clothes (as in, they are comfortable), I have started to think that I should start dressing my age. Does “dressing my age” = “uncomfortable”? I was perturbed when I heard a woman on What Not to Wear say the same exact thing – that nicer-looking clothes were uncomfortable. But by the end of the episode, she had been converted. She discovered that adult, professional looking clothes could actually be very comfortable.

So the next issue is that of price. Maintaining a fashionable, yet classic wardrobe for a Taiwanese girl who has to eat every-scrap-of-food-on-her-plate-in-order-not-to-waste-food is no easy task. I always go shopping for clothes, finger the clothes I really want, maybe even try them on, but always put them back on the rack after contemplating the price tag a little longer. And then I think, “If I had $5,000 to spend just on clothes, then I would have an awesome wardrobe too!” But would it really be awesome? Or would there just be an eclectic mix of clothes? Is this why I open my closet that is full of clothes and wonder why I have nothing to wear?

I’ve realized that the trick is to have a minimal wardrobe that contains at least one of everything I would need. One light jacket that would go with everything. One heavy jacket that would go with everything. Instead, hanging in my closet you would find several jackets of all different colors, none of which could be worn with everything I own.

I think I’ve been watching too much Sex and the City of late. I can’t stop analyzing how the girls dress, what types of shirts they wear, and how to match patterns and colors. Then I realize that I will never have any style.

Oh, where are you my long-lost (never-had-it) fashion sense? Maybe I do have style, but I think it’s called boring! I don’t know if I can ever be capable of having that stellar wardrobe. Will I forever look like an 18-year-old? Would that be considered a good thing?

I am the fashion train wreck. I can’t mix and match. And I can’t seem to buy anything but black, gray, white, and red. If you need anything in black, gray, white, and red, you know who to call.

P.S. If everything in my wardrobe is black, gray, white, and red, why is it that I can’t mix and match? I need help!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home