Monday, October 20, 2003

The Boxed Set Dilemma

Arrid, extra dry! Remember those commercials? Well, that’s how my mind has been. Extra dry.

The month of October has been especially slow for me. Maybe I haven’t been going out enough, so nothing interesting enough to write about has happened. Whatever the reason, my brain is like a desert. Hopefully November will bring an oasis.

That being said, let me just take a moment to express my frustration with the Indiana Jones DVD Boxed Set.

I am an avid Indiana Jones fan and own the VHS boxed set. I remember how excited I was to get the whole movie series, and how I watched each videotape multiple times. And now, years later, the DVD has finally been released, with a fourth DVD that is chock full of The-Making-of’s and Never Before Seen’s.

What kind of horrible torture is this?

I invested the money in my first boxed set, and was more than content with it, only to now shun it in desire for the DVD set. My poor boxed set is now an outcast in my video collection because it is no longer good enough! But me, being the cheap Chinese person that I am, cannot bring myself to buy the DVD set and upgrade. I mean, what’s the point of having two copies of each movie, just so I can get the one extra footage DVD? That’s no justification.

I must say that those marketing people are pretty damn sadistic. Especially since they’ve released the DVD set now, and the fourth Indiana Jones movie isn’t scheduled to be released until 2005. At which time, I’m sure another newer and better version of today’s DVD boxed set will magically appear. If I give in to the desire, will I then have two rejected and outdated boxed sets in my closet?

Instant gratification! That’s how my generation was brought up, and that’s how I would love to live. But I’ll get the best of those marketing people. Regardless how much my credit card itches to purchase the DVDs on Amazon.com, I will wait until the fourth Indiana Jones movie comes out. At least I’ll have a better excuse to buy it then.

The waiting game really does suck though. I’m still waiting for the last Lord of the Rings movie to come out in the theaters, and then on DVD, so that I can buy the whole trilogy in one boxed set and feel satisfied that I wasn’t duped into buying them all individually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home