Wednesday, September 24, 2003

The Disappearing Toilet Paper Act

Has anyone noticed how quickly toilet paper disappears? I feel like I am constantly putting out a new roll of toilet paper, and it makes me feel so wasteful.

Now, I must admit that the most guilty of toilet paper users are women. Not only do women use toilet paper every time they utilize the actual toilet, but they also use it while doing makeup and cleaning. At the same time, since men are such less experienced users of toilet paper, they may not know how much they really need.

During college, I once lived with two other girls. With three girls living in one apartment, we were always running out of toilet paper. I finally felt it was getting out of control, and tried to regulate my roommates’ toilet paper usage. It went something like this.

“Okay you guys. We’re using way too much toilet paper. From now on, you can use two squares for a #1 and three squares for a #2.”

One of my roommates thought I was psycho, told me so, and then ignored me. But the other one actually tried this toilet-paper-rationing exercise for a bit. I was very happy she was making the effort, but one day she told me that she didn’t think she could keep it up.

“You know, I’ve tried but two squares is just not enough. But really, I tried.”

Today, I realize that, unless it’s the extra thick toilet paper, two squares probably isn’t enough. Extra thick toilet paper is just a ploy by the toilet paper companies to make consumers need to buy more toilet paper. Since everyone is so used to the normal thickness of toilet paper, they are all accustomed to grabbing enough to normally cover themselves, not thinking that since this toilet paper is extra thick, they probably need less of it. Therefore, the extra thick toilet paper will vanish almost twice as quickly as the regular two-ply type. And it’s just a trick by the toilet paper manufacturers.

So I feel like I’m getting ripped off every time I change a roll of toilet paper. It may be a necessity, but it feels like there’s a black hole into which all of my tp gets sucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home