Friday, October 17, 2003

Which Friend Are You?

This past weekend, I took a road trip up to Vermont and stayed in a bed and breakfast called the Gray Ghost Inn. We all know that while there are a lot of activities to do during the day, there is not much in the way of night-life there. As a result, Edwin and I turned to good, old-fashioned, fun for the whole family activities. We played Scrabble.

I love playing Scrabble. What I don’t love is losing at Scrabble. Get me into a situation where I’m not playing on a team, and the game is largely dependent on my intellectual abilities, I will get rather defensive and competitive.

So I was kicking ass and ahead by at least 40 points, when I finally tried setting myself up for a triple-word-score. I had finally gotten rid of my three “I’s” and three “O’s” (what horrible luck!) and I was ready to make some words, dammit.

With my heart starting to beat a little faster, I set down the word “kiss.” My plan was to add an “E-R-S” to the end of it at my next turn, and get the triple word score on the last “S”. It was so close to the end of the game that I didn’t think Edwin would have many good tiles left. I thought wrong.

He proceeded to steal my triple-word-score from me by adding an “I-N-G”.

At first I sat dumbfounded and speechless. I totaled the score, and I was still over 40 points ahead. But that was no consolation compared to the satisfaction that I would have had by getting a triple-word-score! My speechlessness soon turned into anger.

“I don’t want to play anymore. You stole my triple-word-score!” I said. Edwin started laughing. I threw the little wooden bars that hold the tiles into the box. Luckily, there were other people in the game room, otherwise, I would have stormed off. And then it struck me. I’m a Monica.

Is this a bad thing? So what if I like to have my towels hanging so they’re symmetrical, or I can tell when someone has rotated the cups in my cabinets so the handles aren’t facing the right direction? So what if, when I was a kid, I would rearrange the gum in the checkout aisles in the grocery store so that the letters all faced the same way? So what if I like to organize my books at home so that they’re alphabetized by author’s last name and arranged by size? And, so what if I make my friends save their eraser bits and throw them into the trashcan instead of sweeping them onto the floor?

Why do I feel like there’s a slightly negative connotation by being Monica? I guess I can only console myself by believing that I balance out the Phoebe’s and the Rachel’s of the world.

So…which “Friend” are you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home