Friday, March 31, 2006

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Last week, my coworker started to rant about how certain food products last much longer than they really should. Growing up on a farm, he was used to food spoiling rather quickly, like a carton of milk expiring within a week, or bread molding after a few days. Now, you can have a loaf of bread and after two weeks, it will still show no signs of molding. Makes you wonder what kind of preservatives are really in there.

The conversation then turned to eggs. After complaining about how long they last (and how he throws them out after a week because he gets scared of them, along with his milk and bread), he mentioned how they used to be so much smaller when he was young. And that got me thinking, when I go to the grocery store, I usually buy the extra large eggs. Why? I don't know. I think that's just what I had picked up when I started doing my own grocery shopping and have been getting ever since.

I remember once being in the supermarket and trying to figure out what the difference was between extra large and jumbo - I couldn't figure out which was bigger since both sound pretty big to me. And that was when I noticed the only other size - large.

Why do eggs come in large, extra large, and jumbo? Whatever happened to plain old small, medium, and large? It's like the opposite of how all the clothing and shoe sizes are running big as a marketing ploy to make people believe they're smaller than they really are. In the same way, maybe eggs are sized at large, extra large, and jumbo to make people believe they're getting more for their money. Hey, at the very least, you're getting some large eggs, right? Maybe size really does matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home